Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Road Trip, April 2012

Road trip, April 5, 2012.  I started a 10 day trip to Florida and South Georgia by spending the first night in Cordele, GA.  Cordele was a good starting place since it was an easy jump over to Hwy. 41 which parallells I-75 to Tifton.  Hwy. 41 used to be the main road from Atlanta to Florida before I-75.  The two-lane road passes through small towns like Ashburn and farm land with remnants of cotton bolls lying on the Georgia red clay.  Along the way, I had to stop to photograph this decaying traditional house with details that told of a former grace.  I was curious about the story behind this beautiful example of Southern architecture-Who lived there?  Why was it in such a state of decay?  Was it part of a larger estate?  That mystery will have to wait for another day.  
Further South, I got back on I-75 and was bombarded with billboards-one after another on both sides of the freeway. I was glad I had started my trip that day on the backroads where my senses were not assaulted by this urban blight.  So I decided to take a side trip to a lake that I had seen on a Georgia map- the Banks Lake National Wildlife Refuge.  There I found a pristine lake of cypress trees and water lilies and even though midday is not the best time for photos, its a great time for blue skies, white puffy clouds  and reflections.  This one is on my list for a return visit. 

No comments: